Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Educational Philosophy

According to a survery taken at http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/ed416/selfassessment.html, I am a firm believer of the Information Processing style of teaching. Out of a possible twentyfive points that I could have scored, I earned twentyone.

The Information Processing model of education treats the mind as if it is a robot. It assumes that all students learn and incode information the same way. Honestly, I'm not completely thrilled that this is where I fit in terms of teaching style. Even at an undergradtuate level we are taught that a teachers job is to reach the various types of learners that exist. The fact that according to this survery, I treat each of my students as exactly the same type of learner is a bit distressing.

One interesting fact that can be noted is that out of a possible score of twentyfive points, I scored twenty points under the category of Humanism. Humanists believe that a persons charactor must be shaped within the classroom. This fact, is something that I firmly agree with. Not only is it a teaachers job to instruct, but teacher should be role models for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment